Tommy Remengesau, Jr

Panel Member Title
President of Palau

Panel Member About
Tommy Remengesau, Jr., the ninth President of the Republic of Palau, and the first Palauan to have been elected President four times. He was elected in 2000 and 2004, followed by a break due a constitutional limit of two consecutive presidential terms, and then re-elected in 2012 and 2016.

Remengesau began his political career as the youngest Senator ever elected to the Olbiil Era Kelulau at the age of 28. In 1992, Remengesau was elected Vice President of Palau, the youngest Palauan ever to serve as Vice President. He was re-elected as Vice President in 1996 and helped lead Palau’s transition to an independent country in 1994.

Remengesau is currently leading the historic effort to implement the Palau National Marine Sanctuary, the world’s sixth largest, which covers 80% of Palau’s territorial waters, with the remaining 20% reserved for domestic fishing. His ocean work has been recognized with awards including the prestigious IGFA Conservation Award in 2014 and the 2016 Peter Benchley Ocean Award for Excellence in National Stewardship. Other recognition includes the inaugural Pacific Champion Award, the UN Environment Programme’s Champion of the Earth award and Rare’s first Inspiring Conservation Award. In 2007, TIME magazine named him one of its heroes of the environment for initiatives such as the Micronesia Challenge.

Remengesau was born on the island of Koror, Palau. He graduated in criminal justice from Grand Valley State University, Michigan, USA.